25/1: Distressed vinyl, inner sleeves and a closer look at vinyl grooves
I say distressed because it’s the term used when something is made to look old or has been used a lot. The marks that give this painting a bit of wear and tear came about by a happy accident.
I’d covered the first layer of paint with PVA glue so that the next layer would not disturb any colour underneath. The next layer made the painting look pretty bad so I had to lift off the top layer. As I added the water, and lifted the paint with tissue I found that not all the PVA glue would come off. I went along with this and worked into the image by lifting off selected areas. I’m going to try this again at some point. There’s only so much abstract work I can make before I have to stop. Sometimes I’m not sure if its working or even where it’s going.
Inner Sleeves – two pieces of off white paper with a hole (sometimes)
I made a large painting like this last year and wanted to make a better version. I’ve manage to refine my techniques since then. The icing on the cake will be all the creases on the sleeve, the colour label and reflections on the record.
Here’s a slideshow to show the process involved in making this painting. Very messy paintwork at first.
Grooves up close
In my last post I cropped one of the images, making the details easier to see.This gave me the idea of creating a painting of just a section of a record.
You would be able to see the grooves in more detail so I needed to add these somehow. I drew them on in pencil to start with and ended up with something that I think will change the way I make my paintings. I’m going to develop this idea further
On previous paintings I was making each track the same size as it is on the actual record. As this is an enlarged section, I’m going to let the width of the brush used to determine the length of each track.